Dr. Tathagato Das DO, MD
- Retina and Vitreous
- Job Title:
- Head of the Department and Consultant
- Medical School:
- Nil Ratan Sircar Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata
- Residency Program:
- Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Kolkata
- Vellore, India
- Contact Information:
- 51, 4th Cross Street, Rajiv Gandhi Nagar, Allapuram
Vellore, Tamil Nadu
Name: Tathagato Das
Address (permanent): 59/2B, Pratapaditya Road, Flat B43, Alaka Apartments, Kolkata, West Bengal-700026. Mobile: 9830489558
Personal Data: Date of birth: 17.10.75. Sex: Male
Communication: Mobile: 9003839292, 9360307343 (Tamil Nadu, India)
2010: Fellowship in Comprehensive Ophthalmology with specialization in Vitreoretina from L.V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad with 1 year experience in running a secondary eye center as the single/ senior ophthalmologist.
2007: Masters in Surgery (Ophth); RIO (Kolkata), West Bengal Univ of Health Sciences; passed in first attempt with 64.6% marks.
2006: Completed Certificate Course in Clinical Sciences, Ophthalmology by International Council of Ophthalmology, U.K.; passed in first attempt with 63% marks.
2004: Completed Certificate Course in Basic Sciences Assessment including
Optics and Refraction by International Council of Ophthalmology, U.K.; passed in first attempt with 73.6% marks.
2003: Diploma in Ophthalmology; RIO (Kolkata), University of Calcutta; passed in first attempt with 63.14% marks.
1998: M.B.B.S; Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College, University of Calcutta; passed 1st, 2nd and 3rd MBBS exams all in first attempt with 65.9%, 61.2% and 61.70% marks in 1995, 1997 and 1998 respectively without any gap.
1993: Higher Secondary Examination, Board of Higher Secondary Education, West Bengal (Schooling in St Xavier's High School for seniors) securing First Division with 81.6% marks.
1991: Secondary Examination, Board of Secondary Education, West Bengal (Schooling in St Xavier's High School); securing First Division with 82.78% marks and ranking within top 100 candidates in West Bengal.
Surgical Skills: Strengths mainly cataract surgery, trabeculectomy, medical retina, DCR, DCT, limited surgical retina. Have done:
• Phacoemulsification (including regular temporal topical anesthesia, also subtenon anesthesia and peribulbar anesthesia)
• Small incision cataract surgery (including regular temporal and under topical anesthesia, also subtenon anesthesia and peribulbar anesthesia)
• ECCE with PCIOL
• Scleral fixated IOL and ACIOL implantation
• Trabeculectomy with or without mitomycin C
• Phacotrab/ SICS + trab
• Penetrating Keratoplasty
• Laser iridotomy; and capsulotomy
• Pars plana vitrectomy (20G and 23G), including vitreous biopsy and microbiologic workup of endophthalmitis
• Various regular intravitreal injections (Avastin, triamcinolone, ganciclovir, antibiotics, etc)
• Scleral buckling
• Panretinal photocoagulation
• Grid photocoagulation
• Dacryocystorhinostomy (including endonasal) with and without silicone intubation
• Entropion surgery (Weiss and Jones procedures, tarsal fracture)
• Ectropion surgery
• Enucleation with silicone and hydroxyapatite implant
• Repair of traumatic globe rupture and lid injuries
• Lid tumor excision; Squint surgery (horizontal mostly, few vertical squint under supervision)
• Pterygium excision with limbal cell autografting, amniotic membrane grafting with sutures as well as fibrin glue
• Chalazion incision with curettage
• Amniotic membrane grafting
• Use of cyanoacrylate glue in descemetoceles and corneal perforations
• Scleral deroofing in infectious scleritis
• Posterior subtenon injections
• Ptosis surgeries
Diagnostic skills :
• Fundus fluorescein angiography;
• Optical Coherence Tomography;
• Automated perimetry;
• Ultrasonography A and B Scans;
• Direct and indirect Gonioscopy;
• Applanation tonometry;
• Binocular fundus examination with slit-lamp and indirect ophthalmoscopy.
• Confocal microscopy
• Infectious keratitis/ scleritis diagnostic microbiologic workup
15.11.12 till date: Ophthalmology consultant (senior) and head of the department, Sri Narayani Hospital and Research Center, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India. Have designed consent forms, discharge certificate, medical report format and patient management protocol in this hospital based on internationally accepted patterns. 1st ophthalmologist here to have done phacoemulsification and SICS under topical anesthesia (regularly). Have regularly used Humphrey visual field, green laser, YAG laser, OCT (disc and macula), laser indirect ophthalmoscopy, etc. Utilized all instruments optimally which were available.
01/2011 to 14.11.12 : Junior Opthalmologist (Consultant), LV Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI), Vijaywada. Had excellent rapport with patients, leading to 3 patients donating to the organization. Was singlehandedly managing glaucoma and limited plasty services. Initially single handedly doing Gram staining, KOH mount for infectious keratitis, endophthalmitis cases in the institute. Initially singly managing retina, later joined by 2nd retinal surgeon. Doing topical phaco regularly.
01/2008 to 12/2010: Fellow, L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad (Comprehensive Ophthalmology); experience in running secondary eye center of LVPEI for 13 months (high quality outpatient, inpatient, surgical and anterior and posterior segment laser services) as the single ophthalmologist; specialized in retina.
05/2007 to 12/2007: Consultant at Southern Health Improvement Samity Eye Hospital (an NGO) 50 bedded, Bhangar, 24 Parganas (South), West Bengal, an institute funded by Sight Savers International (United Kingdom), Mr. Dominique Lapierre, the quenn of Holland and others.
2005 - 2007: MS (Ophthalmology) in Regional Institute of Ophthalmology
attached to Calcutta Medical College.
2004: Private practice;
2003-2004: Resident surgeon, Silverline Eye Hospital, Kolkata;
2001-2003: Diploma in Ophthalmology in Regional Institute of Ophthalmology
attached to Calcutta Medical College.
1999-2000: Resident House Physician, Cardiology at Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical
College and Hospital, Kolkata.
1998-1999: Internship at Nil Ratan Sircar Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata.
• Early schooling in Delhi Public School, New Delhi securing top positions.
• Always ranked within first four in School exams (St. Xaviers' Collegiate School) and received prizes
• Received prizes in competition for recitation, art etc.
• A green belt holder in Taikwondo.
• A regular member in school and college football team and table tennis team
• Computer literate.
• Member of interclass champion hockey team (1st choice A-team left fullback)
• A music and dance lover with some training in classical singing.
• An avid and fast reader of books and literary works.
• Love acting, reciting and writing.
• Debate and elocution
• Love drawing and painting.
• Flair for new languages.
Proficiency in languages:
• English - Excellent in understanding, speaking, reading and writing.
• Bengali - Excellent in understanding, speaking, reading and writing.
• Hindi - Excellent in understanding, speaking, reading and writing.
• French - Read and write well (Passed basic exam. Alliance Francaise)
• Telugu - Speak and understand.
• Tamil- Basic (ophthalmic-related)
Aims: To constantly acquire new skills, such as:
1. Glued IOLs
2. No-suture, no-glue sclera fixated IOLs
5. ICLs/ phakic IOLs
6. More exposure in surgical retina
1. Dr. Anil Kumar Mandal, MD (AIIMS), Bhatnagar Awardee, L.V.Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad.
2. Dr.Sandip Mitra, MS, Ex-Fellow, Sankara Nethralaya Poorva Eye Care: 72, Hem Chandra Naskar Road, Kolkata-700010. Phone: 033-2371-0135; Mobile: 098300-30718.
3. Dr. Tapas Pal, MS, Ex-Fellow, Sankara Nethralaya Wockhardt Hospitals Limited, 2/7,
Sarat Bose Road, Kolkata-700020. Phone: 033-2474-9237; Mobile: 098314-91470.
4. Dr. Arunava Kundu, MS, FRCS, Ex-Fellow and ex-Medical Officer, Aravind Eye Hospital
P91, C.I.T. Road, Scheme VI M(S), Kolkata-700054. Mobile: 098365-31934.
5. Dr. Santosh Honavar, Current: Director, Medical Services; Director, Dept of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Orbit and Ocular Oncology at Centre For Sight Superspecialty Eye Hospital
• Adjunct Professor at Case Western Reserve University
• Adjunct Associate Professor at University of Rochester Medical Center
Past: Associate Director at LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
• Director, Ophthalmic and Facial Plastic Surgery, Orbit and Ocular Oncology at LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
• Consultant Ophthalmologist, Ophthalmic and Facial Plastic Surgery, Orbit and Ocular Oncology at LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad