About Advocacy / Vision 2020
The ICO Advocacy Committee leads and coordinates the efforts of the ICO and international ophthalmology to increase support for eye care and prevention of vision loss worldwide.
We collaborate with ophthalmologic organizations, governments and non-governmental organizations to support and implement VISION 2020, the Global Initiative for the Elimination of Avoidable Blindness. For more information about VISION 2020, see www.vision2020.org.
ICO Advocacy seeks to:
- Position ophthalmology in a leadership role in prevention of blindness activities to help achieve the goal of the right to sight for all.
- Provide support for the VISION 2020 global initiative specifically and for prevention of avoidable blindness and visual impairment in general.
- Support adoption by the WHO Executive Board and the World Health Assembly of resolutions and an action plan that will stimulate increased support for eye care and prevention of vision loss.
ICO Advocacy Committee Objectives:
- Continue to work closely with the WHO, the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) and NGOs on increasing support for VISION 2020, eye care and prevention of visual loss.
- Ophthalmological Society Advocates: Each national ophthalmologic society has a designated Advocate who works with the ICO on these goals.
- Regional Advocacy Coordinators: Serve on the ICO Advocacy Committee, and support advocacy and the work of the individual Advocates within their regions.