Membership and Benefits
With over 120 national and subspecialty Member societies from all over the world, the International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) is a dynamic and global community.
ICO Members enjoy a wide range of benefits, especially through our website and publications. We are constantly reviewing our policies and programs to better serve our Members. Please contact us if you have any feedback about ICO Membership.
If you have any questions about ICO membership, please contact Ms. Jennifer Hanes, Membership and Society Relations Manager, email@example.com.
ICO Membership Benefits
Take part in the ICO General Assembly with the right to vote and to recommend new initiatives:
- Join other national and subspecialty societies to set the agenda for the future of international ophthalmology.
Be represented at the World Ophthalmology Congress® of the International Council of Ophthalmology:
- Receive a free, complimentary registration to the WOC (approximate value US$700.00) for your society’s ICO representative.
- Participate in small discussion groups at the General Assembly (held at each WOC) on enhancing eye care, sharing ideas with other ophthalmologists from around the world and helping to build a world alliance for sight.
Join with other ophthalmic societies to influence and help set priorities and policies for eye care:
Select an advocate from your society to work with the ICO on the new World Health Organization Action Plan and the International Association for the Prevention of Blindness’ VISION 2020: The Right to Sight.
- Influence policies and funding for eye care by speaking as one voice for ophthalmology.
Participate in team building and leadership skills programs:
- Attend the annual World Ophthalmology Roundtable on Leadership Development (WORLD) meeting to gain insight from international leaders.
Offer additional clinical education resources to your members:
Take advantage of free education resources available on the following ICO websites: www.icoph.org and educators.icoph.org.
- Invite ICO leaders to speak at your congress.
Give your younger members an advantage if they apply for ICO Fellowships:
- Applicants from countries with ophthalmologic societies that are Members of the ICO receive special consideration for all ICO Fellowships.
As a Member subspecialty society, participate in the development of the Scientific Program of the World Ophthalmology Congress (WOC) and in other education programs:
Develop symposia related to your members’ areas of expertise at the WOC
- Propose members of your society to serve on ICO education committees and provide input to other education programs.
Receive monthly updates of the latest news and developments in international ophthalmology, and share your society updates with other societies:
Learn the latest about what is happening on pertinent eye care issues in the monthly ICO Notes, which is sent to the leaders of ICO Member societies. You may also sign up to receive the monthly e-newsletter, ICO Leader Letter.
Promote your upcoming congresses and programs in the ICO Notes and on the ICO website.
- ICO Member society events, news, and resources are highlighted on the ICO website and appear next to the ICO Member’s profile. Member events are also periodically publicized through the ICO’s social media channels.
To learn more about the ICO programs supported by your membership dues, please see our 2012 Program Update: www.icoph.org/2012Update.pdf