Ophthalmology has become so broad and has expanded so rapidly that it is nearly impossible to be on the cutting edge of every ophthalmic discipline. Subspecialty education is urgently needed to create ophthalmologists who can handle medical issues in all areas.
The ICO Task Force on Subspecialty Education works to enhance the training of subspecialists, and to enhance organizations that support the differing needs of developing regions. This Task Force is led by Chair, Randall J. Olson, MD.
- Establish and foster regional training centers in developing countries
- Partner with these regional centers to enhance training opportunities
- Offer hybrid fellowships of both six and 12 months
- Develop financial support for fellows to travel to developed country institutions
- Gather educational content in key areas of knowledge for subspecialists
- Develop regional subspecialty organizations
- Create subspecialty liaisons
- Collaborate with other key national and international players
Subspecialty Fellowship Opportunities:
Sponsored by the Retina Research Foundation (RRF) in cooperation with the ICOFoundation, this fellowship program began in 2009 to honor the public service leadership of Mr. W.H. Helmerich III.
- Advanced subspecialty training to ophthalmologists to help transmit new knowledge to the home country
- Award: salary for one year
- Host institution receives expense stipend
- Two 12-month fellowships awarded each year
- Ophthalmology residency training
- Fluency in language of training location
- Commitment to return to home country
How to Apply: