Each year, the ICO offers examinations throughout the world to help ophthalmologists evaluate their knowledge in the basic science and clinical sciences related to ophthalmology. The ICO started to offer examinations (initially called “Assessments”) in 1995. Since then, more than 19,500 candidates have taken the ICO Examinations.
The ICO Examinations are the only worldwide medical-specialty examinations. They are independent and free of any outside influence and can be taken in the candidate's own country. The questions are prepared by an international group of examiners and set at the same standard as the highest board and qualifying examinations anywhere.
- The 2013 Advanced Examination date is yet to be determined.
- The application process opens on May 1, 2013 and closes on July 31, 2013.
- Application forms may be obtained from local coordinators, or by download from the ICO Examinations Website under 'Downloads.' Application forms available after May 1, 2013.
- The 2013 Basic Science, Theoretical Optics & Refraction and Clinical Sciences examinations date: April 18, 2013.
- The 2014 examination date is yet to be determined.
- The application period opens on September 1, 2013 and closes on January 24, 2014.
- Results for the April 2013 examinations will be available from the 3rd week in June 2013. Please do not contact the ICO Exams office for your results.
- This exam is not yet available.
- Learn more about this exam on the ICO Exams Website: www.icoexams.org/exams/foundation/.