Two Articles: Curriculum and Setup of Ophthalmic Wet Laboratories
Two articles for residency programs considering setting up a wet laboratory, as well as for those wanting to improve their wet labs.
Stepwise Approach to Establishing an Ophthalmology Wet Laboratory: This article summarizes components in establishing and maintaining a wet lab. It follows a stepwise guide that considers six factors in creating an ophthalmology wet lab:
- setting up the physical space;
- establishing appropriate faculty and curriculum;
- obtaining the practice eye;
- stabilizing the eye;
- preparing the eye; and
- funding the wet lab.
The Iowa Ophthalmology Wet Laboratory Curriculum for Teaching and Assessing Cataract Surgical Competency: This article describes an ophthalmology wet lab curriculum for residents.
The article includes the following information:
- A First-Year Resident Iowa Ophthalmology Wet Laboratory Curriculum
- A University of Iowa Ophthalmology Wet Lab Quiz
- The University of Iowa Department of Ophthalmology Objective Wet Laboratory Structured Assessment of Skill and Technique (OWLSAT) Scoring Rubric
Stepwise Approach to Establishing an Ophthalmology Wet Laboratory. Journal Cataract Refract Surg 2009; 35:1121-8. Lee AG, Greenlee E, Oetting TA, Beaver HA et al.
Available for purachase at: www.jcrsjournal.org/article/S0886-3350%2809%2900251-X/abstract
The Iowa Ophthalmology Wet Laboratory Curriculum for Teaching and Assessing Cataract Surgical Competency. American Academy of Ophthalmology 2007; 114:e21-6. Henderson BA, Grimes KJ, Fintelmann RE, Oetting TA.
Available for purchase at: www.ophthalmologyjournaloftheaao.com/article/S0161-6420%2806%2901183-3/abstract